Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Multithreaded

Because my 30th birthday was the other day, Amber decided to take over the larpwright duties for the month. This is good, as it gives me a break just around when GM burnout was setting in. And it means some vague, secretive plans are being made all around me, though that is more "mysterious" and "worrying" than it is clearly good.

But it leaves me in a position of not having a project to work on right now. I am communicating with Ross regarding the July event, but that's slow going. July's game is a long way away, and the planning is all via email (which slows the sharing of ideas), and I feel like I overrode Ross's input a bit much in the Western game we collaborated on. So I don't want to bound too far ahead of his input by writing more stuff (though I fear this may be happening regardless).

So this leaves me with no LARPs to be writing right now, just as the habit had formed. My solution at this point is to create a couple of outlines for future games, which will get fleshed out in the remaining months before the games are actually needed. This is good, since it provides a creative outlet and such. And it means I'll have preplanned ideas for in the future when people ask what's up for future months.

Now, depending on how things play out, some of these ideas might not get actually used. Any assistant GMs I have may wind up disliking the available list of potential LARPs, and we'll opt to write and play something entirely new. And at this point it looks like I have one more LARP idea than there are remaining months in the year. And, of course, more ideas will come in the next six months as well. So some of these ideas won't get played. At least, not as part of the monthly LARP project.

Some readers may think "Hey, you could continue the monthly LARP series into 2010!" But that's crazy talk. By next January, I'll need a good break from doing this. And I'll probably find some other creative outlet at that point. But part of the point of this (in my mind, anyway) is the limited scope: you write twelve games, run them, think critically about what happened, then move on with that information.

I'm sure more LARPs will happen in the future. But one a month is a difficult rate for me to keep up. Which is why I challenged myself to do so int he first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment